Constituted 24 June 1921 as 397th Infantry Regiment, allotted to Organized Reserves, assigned to 100th Division, 5th Corps Area, and organized December 1921. Ordered into active military service, less personnel, and organized 15 November 1942 at Fort Jackson, S.C., as element of 100th Infantry Division. Inactivated 10 January 1946 at Camp Patrick Henry, Va.
Under the provisions of (UP) War Department General Order (WDGO) 101, 1946, all companies of the 1st and 2d Battalions are entitled to the Distinguished Unit Citation (DUC) embroidered HEILBRONN.
UP Department of the Army (DA) GO 36, 1951, all companies of 3d Battalion entitled to DUC embroidered RIMLING.
UP WDGO 99, 1946, Company H entitled to DUC embroidered RIMLING.
UP 100th Infantry Division GO 54, 1945, Service Company entitled to Meritorious Unit Citation (MUC) embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER.
Coat of Arms
Shield. Per fess dancette azure and sable two bars wavy argent.
Crest. That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: On a wreath of the colors (argent and azure) the Lexington Minuteman proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kiston, sculptor), stands on the Common in Lexington, Massachusetts.
Motto: Death Before Dishonor.
The shield is blue for Infantry and black to represent the coal region of West Virginia, the original geographic area of the regiment, between the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, symbolized by the bars wavy and the dancette partition indicating the mountains.
The insignia is the shield, crest, and motto of the Coat of Arms of the regiment.